wordmusings

I am starting this blog to be able to write to my heart's content. I dont want to advertise this blog but I would want people to chance on it and give their comments. This is the first of many contradictions that will make up this blog

Name:
Location: India

Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Big Question

Doesn’t everyone pray with a face, an image in mind?
Isn’t that face the ‘God’ in the devotee’s mind?
As real, as finite, as tangible as every member of the devotees’ household…

If so, where do all these Gods reside?
Definitely not on the earth because then someone, somewhere should have met somebody.
But no one has.
So, they all have to belong to a dimension unknown to humans.

Are there palatial bungalows there, one for each religion?

Hindu ghar, Christian vatika, Islam kutir, Sikh house?
So, is the Hindu ghar the biggest having to accommodate the legion of Hindu Gods?
Does Vishnu have a better room than Brahma’s?
Are all the different religions housed on the same road of this celestial neighborhood?
Does Jesus talk to Krishna or spend the evening discussing the day’s events with Allah?
Or are they all so busy keeping track of prayers by ardent devotees that they find no time to socialize?
And what about all the minor, niche Gods and Godesses?
The visa Ganapathys, the passport Murugans, the area specific deities of every religion?
Do they occupy the basement because they are not important enough?
Is it ‘ungodly’ to imagine a caste system among Gods?

Or should I believe in the thought that there is only one God and that one God is called by different names by different people?
If that is so, why does every religion so clearly specify the name by which ‘it’s’ God is to be addressed?
Does it mean that all religions are flawed at their basic foundations?

Is all that I have written so far absurd from every true believer’s point of view?
Or is it only as absurd as truly believing that there is some unidentified, unproven, unseen force somewhere that is actually capable of listening to every plea that comes out of all human beings on this planet, tracking those pleas and acting on it?

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger b v n said...

Its not absurd neways...but there seems to be too many question marks...must be yr mid-life crisis with religion :)

May 03, 2007  
Blogger alakananda said...

nope no absurdity, but very valid questions. i do like the image u created tho' of all of then living in a celestial neighbourhood. wud love to imagine krishna and jesus and allah discussing the day's events over their evening cup o' chai or lakshmi chatting with mary/isis/diana about their respective lines of work over the fence. if so i really really wonder what they would be talking about the mess we have managed to get into these days. loved the idea. maybe i'll go on to elaborate on this someday.

May 03, 2007  
Blogger Rajesh said...

bvn:
Not seeing any updates on ur blogs. Whatever happened?
The question marks are too prominent to be missed I guess....
It used to be a religious mid-life crisis but I am getting around to the view that there is no way I can believe in the concept of a God. You can meditate, concentrate on whatever you choose to but everything else is just a feel-good human creation.
Find time to update your blog(s)

Alakananda:
Chatting over the fence:-)
Thats a much better image than what I came up with....
I am basically delusioned with the fact that I could actually believe that one could pray for something and someone/somewhere/something could give that to you. I find that absolutely absurd now. And this post came up from that.
Do elaborate on this when u can. Would love to read your take on it.

May 03, 2007  
Blogger alakananda said...

i know the whole concept 'sounds' absurd. but getting delusional or disillusioned isn't going to get u anywhere. i do not want to get all preachy and spout stuff like 'keep ur faith" or "believe" or anything. but, well, believing works. and anyway, who said god's job is just to sit and give u whatever u ask for? that idea is absurd. u gotta work for what u want. prayer just holds u together so taht u can work.

May 03, 2007  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Alakananda

I believe that only 'working' works. I think now that 'believing' is a crutch for the infirm.
And I am not getting 'delusioned' in a negative way. It is almost like a revelation with just a tiny feeling of 'Why did I never think of this before'
And everyone has their own way of coping with life's questions and I totally,completely believe in 'To each his own'.
So if 'believing works', let the Force be with you.

May 03, 2007  
Blogger alakananda said...

ninte vishwasam (athaayathu 'working') ninne rakshikkatte. u have all the makings of a 'karma yogi'.
yes, to each his own. i can agree with that. i do not believe in forcing my ideas down anyone's throat either.

May 03, 2007  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Alakananda

I think I have come to a conclusion about my belief and I am contented with that. However, if in in the future, something really bad happens in my life and I change tracks again, all I will be sure of at that time is just one thing - that I am a terrible hypocrite.

May 03, 2007  
Blogger alakananda said...

don't u know that change is the only constant in life. everyone is entitled to change opinions, learning from life and time. that does not make one a hypocrite. that's my stand on it . :)

May 03, 2007  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Alakananda

I will keep that in mind. Peace.
Let me ask you something...
There is a beautiful song in malayalam. Its in colour, maybe sometime in the 80s. Its a duet and a brilliant melody(almost Illayaraja kind of song). I remember vaguely that it might have been Mohan as the hero though I am not sure. I wanted to hear that song again but I have no idea what or where I should look for. With these non-existent cues, does anything strike you?

May 03, 2007  
Blogger alakananda said...

lemme try. i'll get back to on that. u mean lakshmi's mohan or mohan raj (tamil payanangal mudivathillai etc)

May 04, 2007  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Alakananda

please dont take the Mohan clue (out of all the non-existent clues available). I meant the Mohan of Mouna raagam but I might be throwing you completely off-track but the song was beautiful

May 04, 2007  
Blogger mathew said...

intersting..and more intersting comments..well never bothered about the hierarchy among the Gods..why not believe in a single God..God is like a subset of Goodness..So God is the goodness in you..things are much simpler when you dont dig deep..let the puzzles stay as it is..just be Good..then you dont have to ponder much..

May 04, 2007  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Mathew

I agree with you. Its better not to ponder too much about this. Life is much more uncomplicated and peaceful.
However, sometimes you think about it without really meaning to.And then its only possible to have peace of mind after you come to a decision that seems right to you.

May 06, 2007  
Blogger Preetha Nair said...

caught up with all your recent posts.....
am imagining that the intangible force somewhere would smile reading your post and say
"I believe I am what you make me "

Agreed , working towards what you want will get you there....But what about all those "other things" that you wanted , wished, longed for and never got even after your "WORK"...
Doesn’t that trust and belief on a supernatural power give you hope to look forward ……….

May 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free hit counters
Free hit counters