wordmusings

I am starting this blog to be able to write to my heart's content. I dont want to advertise this blog but I would want people to chance on it and give their comments. This is the first of many contradictions that will make up this blog

Name:
Location: India

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

About booing

Its been some time since I have come this way. Thought I will make a visit and see how things are.

Sachin was roundly booed at Wankhede in the first innings of the final test and the whole cricketing fraternity consisting of the Mumbaikars including the Wadekars, the Vengsarkars and the Rajputs cried themselves hoarse. It was pointed out to every one of the quote-hungry media hordes that great players should not be treated this way.

I agree. The joy I have derived watching Sachin play is unparalleled. I have watched all those matches where Sachin was India and you had to beg everyone else in the house not to shift to the serials just because Sachin was out (even though secretly you knew that serials wouldnt be as bad as watching the rest of the Indian lineup embarassing themselves). His knocks at Sharjah where he pummelled the Aussies, not once but on two consecutive days, is in the top drawer of my mind. I adore Sachin and think myself previledged to have watched his batting.

But thats where my agreement stops. Nobody grudges Sachin his success. He has made crores because of the way he plays. He even succeeded in getting the duty waived off his Ferrari and the Indian public watched and nooded in agreement. After ll, Sachin was a hero. He was decimating oppositions, he was being called the best batsman in cricket and you and I were proud to be Indians.

But that does not mean that I am not allowed to criticize Sachin or that I cannot boo him if he doesnt perform. If you are looking at equilibrium, there should be a law against putting him atop a pedestal too. If no such law exists and we are free to adore Sachin when he performs, we are free to boo him when he doesnt.

I think Sachin would agree. He doesnt need former cricketers to shield him. We dont need former cricketers to tell us how to behave. And we dont need the media to carve out descriptions like 'the worst behaved crowd in Mumbai'. Emotion is spontaneous. You cannot shape it. Nobody watches cricket logically. If they did, they wouldnt watch it. So dont tell me what to do and what not to do. When my heart decides, I go along. Thats what sport is meant to do. So Mr Vengsarkar, Mr Wadekar and Mr Rajput ......Quiet!!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Ali Thanikkal said...

I too would like to think that booing episode was in a fit of emotional outburst!
And for Indians nothing get them more emotianally charged up than the great game.
So all is fair in love and cricket!

Btw, u did advertise urself at sidin's blog... u r caught -;))

March 23, 2006  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Yes I did Alit...I think its a terrific blog that Sidin's got. And I wanted some inputs on my blog. Thought that some people will chance upon my blog and comment. That will help me refine my writing. Thanks for the comment

March 23, 2006  
Blogger Vamsi said...

Well...I really dont see anything into the whole booing episode...Yes...i am a die hard fan of sachin too...but come on..things like this happen..but...media terming it as *mumbai* boo-ing sachin is really in a bad taste...for god's sake..its not the whole mumbai...its just a crowd of eagerly-waiting-for-a-sachin-style-shot fans...and i really dont think there intention was too boo him...it could b a shout of desperation...and when in a crowd..they have this *herd-mentality* ...coz of which..evrybody tends to the same thing as evry other person at the same time...so..if few odd persons started that thing..i guess the crowd juz followed the pitch...but didnt really mean to boo or insult sachin..
really aint no big deal...

March 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

digital video camera


nikon digital camera battery



nikon digital camera


digital camera samsung digimax

February 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free hit counters
Free hit counters